Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #7

1)ad infinitum-endless, without limit

The midterm was ad infinitum.

2)apportion-to distribute proportionally

The apportion of our part in the project was fair to everyone.

3)bona fide-made, done, presented, true

Everyone bona fide their projects in front of the class.

4)buoyant-tending to float

The toy boat  is buoyant in water.

5)clique-a small exclusive group of people

My clique only consists of my good friends.

6)concede-to acknowledge as true

My parents never concede my brother has done his homework.

7)congenial-agreeable, suitable, pleasing in nature or character

Everyone was congenial to the blog idea.

8)lofty-extended high in the air

The road led in a south-eastern direction gradually upward to very lofty regions.

9)migration-the process or act of migrating

The animals which depended on migration are having their routes closed off by farmers.

10)perceive-to recognize, envision, or understand

I perceive that I have to try harder in all my classes.

11)perverse-intentionally determined

I am perverse about doing better on all my tests.

12)prelude-to go forward in an act of action

I don't want to prelude a hoard of zombies... because they will eat me.

13)rancid-having an unpleasant smell or taste.

Seafood has a rancid smell.

14)rustic-unsophisticated, rude, and artless

The little boy was rustic to his teacher.

15)sever-to separate from the whole

I predict that the zombies will sever many of our body parts.

16)sordid-dirty, filthy, and meanly selfish

Their sordid affair was kept secret for nearly 30 years.

17)untenable-incapable of being defended.

Nobody likes to be untenable when they're about to get beat up.

18)versatile-having or capable of many uses

You have to be versatile in language so you can communicate with others that don't know English.

19)vindicate-to upload or justify by argument.

There's always that one student that wants to vindicate with the teacher.

20)wane-a gradual decrease or decline in strength

After his accident he was very wane for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment